It only took less than 48 hours for Republicans to already start tripping up over their “Pledge to America”. As I have stated in previous posts I am willing to give Republicans a fair shot at governing, if you have followed my blog you know that I have been critical on the way Democrats handled the majority they hand in both the House and Senate. I also understand that Democrats and Republicans HAVE to work together to get this country back on track; in my opinion this country is not Liberal or Conservative… it is Moderate!
So healthy debate between Democrats and Republicans is necessary…
As a “Conservative” Liberal I am hopefully (silly me, ha) that the now Republican majority in the House will be about something and focus on the challenges facing this great nation; but I am not an idiot!
Republicans time and time again obstructed President Obama agenda; not saying they have to always agree but I would expect (hope) they would be able to put politics aside and do what is best for the country. While in the minority Republicans in my opinion did not act in good faith. They put forth a destructive strategy that focused on getting them back into power, and it worked!
With that power comes responsibility and with their “Pledge To America” there were SOME signs that they might actually mean business… albeit the pledge was a little vague but it was a plan and I was willing to listen.
So far they have not impressed me at all, actually I take that back I am impressed! I am impressed in how FAST they were able to break their own pledge…
In “A Pledge To America” Republicans said they would,
- Read the Constitution out loud in congress so that everyone knew what was actually in the Constitution
- Cut $100 Billion dollars of federal spending in the 1st year (50 billion)
- Open Rules will ensure the right to debate and the ability to offer amendments on legislation (no the case for repeal bill)
- Implement cut-as-you-go, repeal of health reform would add $230 Billion to the deficit. Republicans will not cut anything for this legislation.
- List the names of each member in attendance at a committee hearing, behind closed doors they did away with that
- Promise each bill will include a clause citing the specific constitutional authority allowing you to do what the bill is said to do; so none of the 3 bills introduced met that criteria
This is only a sample of what the “Pledge To America” is about, but the above were points that Republicans highlighted leading up them winning control of the House.
So how are they doing so far in keeping this pledge?
- The Constitution was read out loud in congress, unfortunately only the “GOOD PARTS” were read. For whatever reason there was no mention about a slave only being 3/5 a person aka The Three-Fifths Compromise.
- Since Republicans blocked the Omnibus Spending Bill that funds the 2011 federal budget, Republicans had to reset their proposed spending cuts. As of yesterday they were saying they would cut $50 Billion but there is word it will be even lower possibly $30 Billion.
- The first bill presented by Republicans to the House will be the Repeal Bill; the bill would repeal health-care reform. Eric Cantor has already gone on record saying that Democrats will NOT be able to debate of offer any amendments. Cantor will not allow Open Rules for this legislation, I might be mistaken but that sounds like CLOSED RULES!
- Cut-As-You-Go rules; any spending legislation introduced in the House will be required to be pay for by cuts in other areas. Except if Republicans repeal health-care reform the Congressional Budget Office aka CBO (non-partisan) has already stated that repealing health-care reform would add $230 Billion to the deficit. currently Republicans have yet to announce $230 Billion worth of cuts to pay for this spending.
- In a closed-door meeting Republicans decided that listing the name of each member in attendance at a committee hearing was not a great idea so that pledge was simply scratched
- So far Republicans have introduced 3 bills and none of the bills have met the criteria of citing the specific Constitutional Authority that allow the bills to do what they are proposed to do.
Hmmm, at this rate Democrats will be back in control quick fast, all Democrats need to do is keep their heads low and be smart about legislating. If this is any indication of the next couple of years… Republicans will be consistently shooting themselves in the foot!!
If there is something to be said, “It’s On Broadway” to step up and say it!!